What is TeachQuantum?
TeachQuantum is a multi-year program that consists of an annual 6-week summer research experience for high school teachers, which immerses them in real-world quantum research environments and prepares them to teach quantum-focused STEM concepts in their classrooms. The selected teachers will develop new quantum-inspired activities to implement in their classrooms, and participate in quarterly meetings throughout the school year to share their outcomes and best practices.
Who can participate?
High school STEM teachers in Wisconsin and Chicago's Kenwood, Woodlawn, Hyde Park, and Englewood neighborhoods
When will the program take place?
6 weeks over the summer of 2022 (late June – early August), and quarterly throughout the school year
What will participants do?
Engage in a mentored research experience in a quantum lab, develop a quantum-focused classroom activity, and share their experiences with other participants during quarterly meetings
Where will the program take place?
The research labs of faculty members at the University of Chicago and UW–Madison.
How To Apply
Applications are now closed. Please consider applying when Summer 2023 applications open in February 2023!
Please direct any questions you have about the program to
- Dr. Tian Zhong - Assistant Professor of Molecular Engineering, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Molecular Engineering
- Laura Rico-Beck - Assistant Dean of Education and Outreach, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Molecular Engineering
- Patrick McQuillan - HQAN Education and Workforce Development Coordinator, Chicago Quantum Exchange
- Mallory Conlon - HQAN Outreach Program Coordinator, University of Wisconsin-Madison Department of Physics
TeachQuantum is supported by the NSF Quantum Leap Challenge Institute for Hybrid Quantum Architectures and Networks (HQAN), a partnership between the University of Chicago, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
TeachQuantum 2022 Cohort
We are excited to welcome these teachers and teacher mentors to the 2022 TeachQuantum program!
- Adam Davenport - James H. Bowen High School Chicago, IL
- Afsoon Kazerouni - UChicago Charter School Chicago, IL
- Ivan Diaz - Solorio Academy High School Chicago, IL
- Jamie Lauer - Hartford Union High School Hartford, WI
- Michael Rodgers - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. College Preparatory High School Chicago, IL
- Amy Seter - UChicago Charter School Chicago, IL
- Joseph Blake - Kenwood Academy High School Chicago, IL